29 Feb 2016

Myrath, Legacy

I like and respect Myrath a lot. There may be tons of bands in their part of the world that sound like that, but along with Orphaned Land, they are the only band I know to become somewhat big using such a huge influence from a culture that isn't exactly prevalent, neither in Europe, nor in metal. And you know how I feel about band with folk elements, especially when they're not playing folk-metal per se. So naturally, I was curious to hear their new album, especially since it's been some time since the previous one.




Jasmin – this sounds so good, so epic and fantasy-like and I'm already excited like crazy.



Believer – so freaking catchy, I can't really sit still while listening to this. The lyrics are pretty much from the “reach for the moon and if you miss you’ll land among the stars” collection, with jewels like "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger”, but despite of the corniness, it's a light, positive song that's very energising to listen to.



Get your freedom back – does this sound like Kamelot? Yeah, it does, when did that happen? Myrath used to be.... Myrath. That band from Tunisia that plays progressive oriental metal, there was no other description for them, this song is basically Kamelot musically and a poor man's Orphaned Land lyrically. And what’s with that out of place bass bridge? It sounds like they couldn't wait to get it over with sooner and forget it ever happened. Get your shit together, guys, back to the good stuff!



Nobody's lives – I like this one, it sounds so much more genuine than the previous tracks. Granted, I don't understand the lyrics so maybe they're using the arabic version of the hipster quotes generator here, but musically it sounds a whole less shallow and a lot more personal.



The needle – oh yey, more Kamelot.... I keep trying to tell myself that I like Kamelot, but actually I just want them to go back to the heartfelt desert chants. This is rather boring, it's not even catchy anymore, just a very generic “pop with heavy guitars” (thanks, Delain). Even the trademark instrumental seems just thrown in there to make up for the lack of inspiration and individuality.



Through your eyes – another generic poppish tune draped in oriental clothes to take one's mind away from the dullness of it all, whatever happened with the promising epic beginning?



The unburnt – aside from the fact that the last thing this album needed was even *more* Kamelot, I kinda like this one, it has somewhat of an Eurovision vibe (complete with the cringy "you're much more than a goddess" lyrics), but it's melodic and pleasant and definitely more interesting than the previous two tracks



I want to die – one of the two songs of this album I'll actually remember when it's over. Beautiful instrumental (the instrumental is definitely their strong suit), has a nice flow to it and it’s the first song since Nobody's Lives with actual emotion in it. For a "I want to die" message it's not exactly as heart clenching as you'd expect, but it's progress, I'll take it.



Duat – I don't know what to make of the electronic intro, it's definitely surprising, but I don't really see how it works into their style, especially as it turns into a traditional theme that seems very out of nowhere. Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't find the "leave me here, I'm dying" part to be very believable, it's sounds more like trying to be over dramatic rather than actual grief. Other than that, I guess it’s an ok song.



Endure the silence – now that's a weird intro that for some reason actually works. Or maybe I'm just starting to get used to their unusual combinations, who knows. The whole song is very weird, in fact, it's a jazzy oriental Eurovision track, or something, I have no idea what it's meant to be, but I kinda like it.



Storm of lies – I keep expecting Rule the world to pop up after most of their intros, but again the song turns into some desert music with a sappy chorus, a nice enough guitar solo in the middle and then another sugary chorus. Quite frankly, I don't see why this album needed 12 tracks when it has only 2-3 songs and the rest up to 12 is pretty much the reincarnation of the single (with 90% less catchiness).



Other side – this must be the one track where the chorus is actually the strongest moment instead of the most nausea-inducing one. It's so freaking catchy and the bridge near the end is probably the best part of the album, this finally sounds good and cohesive and interesting enough for me to give a damn. Aaaand.... it’s the last track. Okay...



I feel disappointed. I don't necessarily mind lighter songs and they've always been slightly poppier (especially on their last album), but they used to have more substance than this. And I can't understand how their first albums had personality and this is pretty much an oriental Kamelot, isn't time supposed to make one stronger in his identity? With toning down their heaviness and pretty much forgetting of their progressive influences, this is definitely not a very impressive record.

No comments:

Post a Comment